Family Separation & Detention
Family Separation and Detention Funding Recommendations, GCIR, August 2018.
Contact Melissa Nop for recordings of past GCIR programs.
- What Funders Need to Know About Immigration Detention: A Primer on the U.S. System, GCIR, July 19, 2018.
- Funder Strategy Conversation -- Impact of Immigration Action on Children and Families, Children, Youth & Family Funders Roundtable (co-sponsored by GCIR), July 13, 2018.
- Where Are the Children? Family Separation Becomes U.S. Immigration Enforcement Policy, GCIR, June 27, 2018.
- Report in Focus: Revving up the Deportation Machinery: Enforcement and Pushback under Trump, GCIR, June 21, 2018.
- Family Separation Policies and Access to Justice in Detention Systems, GCIR, May 17, 2018.
- The Road Ahead Series: Deportation Defense Options, GCIR, 2017.
- What Philanthropy Can Do: Supporting Immigrants and Refugees in Volatile Times, GCIR, 2017.
- Lessons in Rapid Response: What Funders Can Learn from the Unaccompanied Children Humanitarian Situation, GCIR, 2017.
Reports | News | Statements
- Prison Divestment: 4 Steps for Foundations, Enlace International.
- Bankrolling Oppression: How Wall Street Companies Finance the Private Prison and Immigration Detention Industry, Center for Popular Democracy, Make the Road New York, Enlace International, New York Communities for Change, & Strong Economy for All Coalition
- Private Prison Divestment Campaign Tool Kit, Enlace International, November 2012.
- Client Briefing: Private Prisons and Immigrant Detention, Sustainalytics, March 2014.
- Infographic: Private Prisons: The Cycle of Expansion and Incarceration, Advancement Project.
- Do Family Separation and Detention Deter Immigration?, Tom K. Wong, Center for American Progress, July 24, 2018.
- Zero-Tolerance Criminal Prosecutions: Punishing Asylum Seekers and Separating Families, Human Rights First, July 18, 2018.
- Trump's Family Incarceration Policy Threatens Healthy Child Development, Leila Schochet, Center for American Progress, July 12, 2018.
- Family Incarceration is Not the Solution: Proven Alternatives to Mass Incarceration of Families, Human Rights First, June 27, 2018.
- Urgent: Recommendations for the Reunification of Separated Children with their Families, The Alliance for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action, June 26, 2018.
- Detached and Afraid: U.S. Immigration Policy and the Practice of Forcibly Separating Parents and Young Children at the Border, by Benjamin J. Roth, Thomas M. Crea Jayshree, Jani, Dawnya Underwood, et. al., ResearchGate, May 2018.
- Key Points: Traumatic Separation and Refugee and Immigrant Children, National Child Traumatic Stress Network, 2018.
- Select NCTSN Resources Related to Traumatic Separation and Refugee & Immigrant Trauma, National Child Traumatic Stress Network, 2018.
- Divided by Detention: Asylum-Seeking Families' Experiences of Separation, Leigh Barrick, American Immigration Council, August 31, 2016.
- Foundations Break Their Grant Guidelines and Speed Cash to Immigrant Needs, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, July 19, 2018
- Barr Responds to Family Separation Crisis With Grants, Gifts, Barr Foundation, July 13, 2018
- Update: Supporting efforts to reunite, advocate for immigrant families, The James Irvine Foundation, July 12, 2018
- Family Separation Crisis on U.S. Border: How Donors Can Help, The Center for High Impact Philanthropy, June 27, 2018.
- Annie E. Casey Foundation: Policies Threaten Well-Being of Children in Immigrant Families
- Blue Shield of California Foundation: Keeping Families and Futures Intact: Action Steps for Funders
- The California Endowment: Father's Day Outrage
- The Colorado Health Foundation: Families Belong Together: Separation Endangers any Chance for Lifelong Health
- Emerson Collective: 7 Things You Can Do to Help Immigrant Families at the Border
- First 5 LA: Bordering on Inhumanity: Trump's Policy of Forcibly Separating Migrant Families Deliberately Causing Trauma to Children
- Foundation for Child Development: America Should Have Zero Tolerance for the Damage Being Inflicted on Immigrant Children
- Funders for LGBTQ Issues: How LGBTQ Philanthropy Can Respond to the Ongoing Attack on Immigrants
- Funders' Network for Smart Growth and Livable Communities:
- Speaking Out: Reaffirming Our Values in the Face of Intolerance
- Silence is Not an Option
- Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City: HCF responds to family separation and detention border policies
- The Heinz Endowments: We Are What We Do
- Heising-Simons Foundation: Supporting Immigrants Affected by Domestic Zero-Tolerance Policy
- Hispanics In Philanthropy: 5 Ways You Can Stand Up for Immigrant Children & Families TODAY
- Hyams Foundation: Statement on U.S. Immigration Policy; Muslim Travel Ban
- Latino Community Foundation: Keep Families Together
- Liberty Hill: Liberty Hill Statement on Family Separation
- Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation: A Crisis of Humanity: Our Statement on the Treatment of Families Seeking Asylum
- Philanthropy California: Philanthropy California Statement on Family Separations
- Philanthropy Northwest: Philanthropy Northwest’s Statement on Family Separation
- The San Francisco Foundation: Restore Our Humanity
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation: Statement on family separation at the U.S. border
- Southeastern Council on Foundations: Family Separations are a Humanitarian Issue
- United Philanthropy Forum: Stop Separating Families at the Border. Now.
- Women's Foundation of Minnesota: Our Statement of Opposition to Policy of Separating Immigrant Families
- Women's Funding Network: Joint statement by 36 women's foundations
- The enormous cost of toxic stress: Repairing damage to refugee and separated children, Brookings, July 9, 2018.
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges: Statement [...] Regarding the Separation Policy at the U.S. Border, June 19, 2018.
- The Council of Bishops of the United Methodist Church: Faith leaders' statement on family separation, June 7, 2018.
A special thanks to GCIR members and funders for their support in making this resource page available.
Posted July 27, 2018 • Revised September 24, 2018