Refugees and the Global Humanitarian Crisis
Philanthropy, Refugees, and the Global Humanitarian Crisis Webinar Series
- World Refugee Day: Expanding Perspectives on the Integration of Refugees, June 20, 2016.
- Planning for Refugee Resettlement in the U.S.: What Funders Need to Know, December 15, 2015.
- How U.S. Funders Can Respond to the Current Global Refugee Crisis, September 17, 2015.
- Expanding Perspectives on Refugee Integration: Recommendations for Philanthropic Response, GCIR, June 20, 2016.
- U.S. Refugee Resettlement Funding Recommendations, December 15, 2015.
- The Global Refugee Crisis: How Funders Can Respond, September 25, 2015.
Statements from Philanthropic Leaders
- Reflections on the Global Refugee Crisis: Bridging Divides, Sharing a Commitment to All Humanity, Taryn Higashi, Executive Director, Unbound Philanthropy, December 2015.
- Members of Houston's Immigration Legal Aid Community Support Syrian Refugees, December 7, 2015.
- Immigration Collaborative Provides Insight Into Syrian Refugee Crisis, Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative, December 4, 2015.
- Why We Support Syrian Refugees, Robert K. Ross, President, The California Endowment, November 30, 2015.
- Collective Action for Greater Traction, Center for Disaster Philanthropy, February 7, 2017.
- No easy answers to Europe's humanitarian crisis, David Miliband of the International Refugee Committee, Politico, January 7, 2106.
- The U.S. record shows that refugees are not a threat, Kathleen Newland, Migration Policy Institute, October 2015.
- The Refugee Crisis That Isn't, Kenneth Roth, Human Rights Watch, September 3, 2015.
- Why Can't Refugees Get Lawyers?, Katherine Reisner and Catherine Crooke of the Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project, The New York Times, July 28, 2015.
- Refugee Resettlement in the United States, Refugee Council USA
- The Rigorous Process of Screening Refugees for Resettlement to the United States, Refugee Council USA
- Refugee Integration in the United States, Center for American Progress and Fiscal Policy Institute, 2016
- Young Children of Refugees in the United States: Integration Successes and Challenges, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), 2016
- Education of Refugees in Countries of First Asylum: What U.S. Teachers Need to Know about the pre-Resettlement Experiences of Refugee Children, Migration Policy Institue (MPI), 2015
- From Refugee to Migrant? Labor Mobility’s Protection Potential, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), 2015
- The Educational and Mental Health Needs of Syrian Refugee Children, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), 2015
- The Integration Outcomes of U.S. Refugees: Successes and Challenges, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), 2015
- Unfulfilled Promises and Future Possibilities: The Refugee Resettlement System in the United States, Journal on Migration and Human Security, 2014
- Strategies to Improve the Recognition of Immigrant’s Foreign Qualifications, Migration Policy Institute (MPI), 2013
- USA State Profiles Compilation, Refugee Council, May 30, 2014.
- Refugee Security Screening: Fact Sheet, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, December 2015.
- FY2015 Reception and Placement Program Affiliate Sites, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, Department of State, December 2014.
- Affiliate Directory, Office of Admissions - Refugee Processing Center, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, Department of State, December 4, 2015.
- Reception & Placement Agency Contact List and Affiliate Directory, Refugee Processing Center, December 4, 2015.
- Infographic: The Screening Process for Refugee Entry into the United States, The White House, November 20, 2015.
- From Fleeing Persecution to Rebuilding Lives, Bureau of Refugee and Immigrant Services, Illinois Department of Human Services, June 2015.
- The Evaluation of the Refugee Social Service (RSS) and Targeted Assistance Formula Grant (TAG) Programs: Houston Case Study, Washington DC: The Lewin Group, Urban Institute, and Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Refugee Resettlement, 2008
- Refugee Economic Self-Sufficiency: An Exploratory Study of Approaches in Office of Refugee Resettlement Programs, Washington D.C. Department of Homeland Security Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, 2008
- Action Alert: Join the Haiti Deportations Response Network, Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti, February 21, 2017.
Mediterranean and Europe
- US and UK must not close doors to refugees, says former British minister, The Guardian, January 27, 2016.
- Europe's Migration Crisis in Context: Why Now and What's Next?, Migration Policy Institute, September 24, 2015.
- 3 reasons why the Mediterranean death toll has dropped dramatically, Amnesty International, July 9, 2015.
- A Safer Sea: The Impact of Increase Search and Rescue Operations in the Central Mediterranean, Amnesty International, July 8, 2015.
- Europe's Borderlands: Violations Against Refugees and Migrants in Macedonia, Serbia and Hungary, Amnesty International, July 6, 2015.
- Mediterranean Crisis 2015 at six months: refugee and migrant numbers highest on record, UNHCR, July 1, 2015.
- The sea route to Europe: The Mediterranean passage in the age of refugees, UNHCR, July 1, 2015.
- The Mediterranean Migration Crisis: Why People Flee, What the EU Should Do, Human Rights Watch, June 19, 2105.
- 7 questions you might have about refugees and migrants drowning in the Mediterranean, Amnesty International, April 22, 2015.
- Europe Migrant Crisis, BBC.
- Refugees/Migrants Emergency Response - Mediterranean, UNHCR.
- Mediterranean Crisis, Human Rights Watch.
- Southeast Asia: Open Letter on the Refugee and Migrant Crisis in Southeast Asia, Amnesty International, July 1, 2015.
- Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand: Further Information: Refugees and Migrants Adrift Remain at Risk, Amnesty International, May 20, 2015.
- Vulnerability Assessment of Syrian Refugee Men in Lebanon, International Rescue Committee, January 2016.
- Fact Sheet: Profile of Syrian Immigrants in the United States, Migration Policy Institute, November 2015.
- Facts & Figures: Syria refugee crisis & international resettlement, Amnesty International, December 5, 2014.
- An International Failure: The Syrian Refugee Crisis, Amnesty International, December 13, 2013.
- Resources on Syrian Refugees, The White House.
- 3RP: Regional Response and Resilience Plan 2014-2016: In Response to the Syria Crisis, UNHCR and United Nations Development Programme.
- Syria Regional Refugee Response: Inter-agency Information Sharing Portal, UNHCR.
- Syria Emergency, UNHCR.
- Iraq Emergency, UNHCR.
- Global Migration: Resilient Cities at the Forefront, 100 Resilient Cities, 2017.
- Global Refugee Crisis, Center for Disaster Philanthropy, December 1, 2016.
- What are foundations doing in response to the refugee crisis? (executive summary), European Foundation Centre, December 2015.
- The Global Refugee Crisis: A Conspiracy of Neglect, Amnesty International, June 15, 2015.
Children & Families
- The Educational Experiences of Refugee Children in Countries of First Asylum, Migration Policy Institute, October 2015.
- The Educational and Mental Health Needs of Syrian Refugee Children, Migration Policy Institute, October 2015.
Policy & Procedure
- Ten Facts About U.S. Refugee Resettlement, Migration Policy Institute, October 2015.
- From Dependence to Self-Reliance: Changing the Paradigm in Protracted Refugee Situations, Migration Policy Institute, May 2015.
- 5 Things Funders Can Do to Address the Global Refugee Crisis, Center for Disaster Philanthropy.
- How Innovative Funders Are Tackling the Global Refugee Crisis, Center for Disaster Philanthropy.
- A Donor's Guide to Funding the Three Phases of the Refugee Crisis, Center for Disaster Philanthropy.
A special thanks to GCIR members and funders for their support in making this resource page available.
Posted September 9, 2015 • Revised May 15, 2017