Thank you for applying for the Angeleno Card. We received hundreds of thousands of applications so, unfortunately, not every qualified applicant will receive a card. All applicants have, or will receive, an email, text message or telephone call updating them on the status of their application. If you were notified that your application has been selected to move forward, you will be called and scheduled for a verification appointment. Only those applicants scheduled for an appointment can be accomodated; walk-ins will not be served.
For additional resources:
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Community Resources
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Apply for your benefits (For City of Los Angeles and LA County Residents)
- LA Regional Food Bank
- State of California Coronavirus Get Financial Help
- State of California Employment Development Department
THE BELOW INFORMATION IS FOR PEOPLE WHO WERE INFORMED THEY ARE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT STEP:
After your appointment is scheduled, you must gather the documents needed to prove your household’s eligibility. ONLY after your appointment and your documents are verified will you receive an Angeleno Card.
You must bring with your documents that demonstrate your household meets ALL three of the following criteria to be eligible for assistance through the Angeleno Card initiative:
- The household is in the City of Los Angeles;
- The household has a total annual income below the federal poverty level;
- The household has fallen into deeper economic hardship during the COVID-19 crisis because at least one household memeber has lost a job or experienced a reduction in income of at least 50% AFTER march 13, 2020.
Here is what you must bring:
- To prove your household is within the City of Los Angeles, you must bring to your appointment:
- A valid California Driver's License or Identification Card with your name and an address in the City of Los Angeles on it; OR
- A tenant lease agreement with your name on it for a home, apartment, room, etc. within the City of Los Angeles on it; OR
- A utility bill with your name on it for an address within the City of Los Angeles; OR
- Postmarked mail addressed to you at an address within the City of Los Angeles.
- To prove your income is below the federal poverty level, you must bring to your appointment:
- A copy of your 2018 or 2019 tax return (regardless of whether it was filed with an SSN or ITIN); OR
- If you do not have a tax return, documentation of all wages and public benefits within the household.
Proof of wages within the household includes all W2s, 1099s, and paychecks (annualized). Proof of public benefits within the household includes all Public Benefit notices from CalWorks, General Relief, Unemployment Insurance, Social Security, SSI, or SSDI. Applicants with no proof of income may be able to go through a self-certification process.
- And finally, to prove that a household member has either lost a job or experience a reduction in income of at least 50% AFTER March 13, 2020, you must bring to your appointment:
- A layoff leter or furlough letter from an employer; OR
- The phone number for an employer to allow a case manager to make contact and verify a job loss or a reduction in income of at least 50%; OR
- A referral letter from a non-profit organization such as a day laborer center or domestic worker associaton stating that the organization knows the applicant has reecently lost employment or suffered a reduction in income of at least 50%.
We will not ask for immigration status, nor is it considered in determining eligibility. This initiative is funded by private donations and is not a City program. Any assistance through this fund is not considered a public benefit and is not subject to the Public Charge rule. Households receiving public benefits (including unemployment insurance benefits) may still be eligible for this initiative if their total annual household income falls below the poverty level.
Lastly, on the day of your appointment:
- Please make sure to arrive on time to your appointment
- Please make sure you bring with you copies of the documents we discussed. We will not be able to issue you an Angeleno Card if you cannot prove eligibility.
- If you feel sick on the day of your appointment, please do not attend and follow the instructions on your confirmation email or text to cancel your appointment. A staff member will then call you to reschedule your appointment.
- You must come to your scheduled appointment on time. Please note that walk-ins will be turned away.
- Also, we need to maintain social distancing rules. Please do not bring anyone else with you. If you need someone to drive you, please have him/her wait in his/her vehicle.
- Lastly, you MUST wear a mask. Anyone without a mask will be asked to leave.
Please be aware of scammers. City employees will not ask you for personal information, such as your Social Security Number, over the telephone related to this Initiative. Please use a secure means to transmit personal contact information to the City for this Initiative.
Any personal information provided to the department may be considered public records subject to public disclosure by requesting parties, pursuant to the California Public Records Act, though certain confidential information may be redacted prior to disclosure to requesting parties.
The City of Los Angeles is not responsible for any damages that may arise from the use of, the inability to use, or misuse of the web site and/or materials contained on the web site, or that result from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files, errors, defects, delays in operation, or transmission, or any failure of performance.