Indigenous communities have a deep historical understanding of and experience with forced migration, its root causes, and the breathtaking scope of its impact, from displacement to intergenerational trauma. Their wisdom and leadership can inform and strengthen today’s movement for immigrant justice. This session will uplift the perspectives of indigenous leaders, examine the unique struggles facing indigenous organizations, and highlight the unmet needs of thousands of indigenous migrants seeking refuge in the United States.
- Juanita Cabrera, Executive Director, Mayan League
- Policarpo Chaj, Executive Director, Maya Vision
- Alberto Perez Rendon, Director of Programs, Asociacion Mayab
- Odilia Romero, Executive Director, Cielo
- Aryah Somers Landsberger, Vice President of Programs, GCIR (moderator)