GCIR’s 2022 convening will take place in the context of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, which has devastated communities across the country, especially communities of color and immigrants. While we are eager to reconnect with our friends and colleagues in person, we remain vigilant and are planning our in-person convening in Houston with the utmost care and with consideration for changing circumstances. At this time, these are the protocols we have in place to help ensure the safety of all participants and hotel staff:
- All conference attendees, including funders, speakers, vendors, and GCIR staff, will be required to present proof of up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination (including booster). Those with health or religious exemptions will be asked to indicate their exemption during registration.
- We will require an onsite negative rapid antigen Covid-19 test from each attendee upon arrival. (Rapid tests will be provided.) Additionally, we strongly encourage all attendees to take a rapid antigen test at home prior to travelling to mitigate the challenges of a positive test once at the conference.
- If you test positive upon arrival on site you will not be allowed to attend the convening and must isolate yourself in quarantine according to the CDC guidelines. Any incurred expenses for isolation will be the attendee’s responsibility.
- Masks will be required at all indoor convening events when attendees are not actively eating or drinking, or speaking as part of a plenary, workshop, or site visit presenter. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own masks. Extra K95 masks will be available to any convening attendee who needs one.
- We will work with our host hotel, Hotel ZaZa, to ensure all conference rooms are cleaned and sanitized before and after breakout and general sessions.
- We will ensure that hotel staff we interact with wear masks.
- There will be ample outdoor space for networking and relaxing during breaks.
- No person may participate in the Convening if they become ill, or exhibit any signs and symptoms of COVID-19 during the Convening. GCIR reserves the right to refuse entry to any participant who exhibits any symptoms of illness or who refuses to present any required documentation.
- Personal Space Preferences. All attendees will be provided with the option to wear a wristband indicating they are personally practicing additional distancing and need a little extra personal space -- no hugs, handshakes, etc.
We are relying on everyone to do their part to keep themselves and everyone else safe during the convening. GCIR reserves the right to update our policies at any time. Please continue to refer back to this website to keep up to date. If there is a significant shift in policy, we will email convening registrants directly.