The "public charge" rule was published in the Federal Register on October 10th. Once experts have analyzed the proposed rule, GCIR will produce a range of resources to inform funders and help them submit comments and take other actions.
Announcement & Official Text
- DHS Announces New Proposed Immigration Rule to Enforce Long-Standing Law that Promotes Self-Sufficiency and Protects American Taxpayers, Department of Homeland Security, September 22, 2018
- Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds, Department of Homeland Security, September 21, 2018
Guidance for Comments
Please contact Melissa Nop for a copy of our guidance for submitting comments on "public charge." Our guidance document is available to GCIR members, other grantmaking institutions, philanthropic advisors, and members and staff of funder affinity groups and regional associations of grantmakers.
- "Only Wealthy Immigrants Need Apply" - How a Trump Rule's Chilling Effect Will Harm the U.S., Fiscal Policy Institute, October 10, 2018.
- Expanding the "public charge" rule jeopardizes the well-being of immigrants and citizens, Hamutal Bernstein & Archana Pyati, Urban Insitute, October 3, 2018.
- Trump Administrations Proposed "Public Charge" Rule: What Housing and Homelessness Advocates Should Know, National Housing Law Project, National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty, October 2, 2018.
- Proposed Changes to Public Charge: Quick Analysis, Protecting Immigrant Families, September 28, 2018
- DHS' Proposed Rule: What May Change With Public Charge, National Health Law Program, September 27, 2018.
- One-Third of U.S.-Born Citizens Would Struggle to Meet Standard of Extreme Trump Rule for Immigrants, Danilo Trisi, Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, September 27, 2018.
- Public Charge: A New Threat to Immigrant Families, CLASP, September 24, 2018.
- Proposed Changes to “Public Charge” Policies for Immigrants: Implications for Health Coverage, Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation, September 24, 2018.
- The Proposed Changes to Public Charge: What You Need to Know, Immigration Impact, American Immigration Council, September 24, 2018.
- What You Need to Know on the Public Charge Rule & Immigrant Families, Xochitl Oseguera, Moms Rising, September 24, 2018.
- USCIS Proposes Vast Changes to Public Charge Definition, Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC), September 23, 2018
- The Hunger Impact of the Proposed Public Charge Rule, Food Research and Action Center, September 2018.
- Public Charge Expansion Proposed Rule: A Threat to Women of Color, National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, In Our Own Voice | National Black Women's Reproductive Justice Agenda, September 2018.
- Philanthropy Must Take Action Against Public Charge Proposal: Public Charge Undermines Family Resilience and Community Stability, GCIR, October 10, 2018.
- Organizational Sign-on Statement in Opposition to the Proposed Regulation, Protecting Immigrant Families, October 10, 2018.
- Nation’s Mayors to DHS Secretary Nielsen: Don’t Punish Immigrants with New Public Charge Rules, The United States Conference of Mayors, October 10, 2018.
- Trump scare tactic: Keep immigrants from green cards if they receive welfare, Ali Noorani, The Hill, October 2, 2018.
- New Proposed Green Card Rule Dramatically Misrepresents Immigrant Communities, Conor P. Williams, The Century Foundation
- Newest White House Proposal on Immigrant Families Stands Out as Especially Cruel, Fred Ali, Antonia Hernández, and Robert K. Ross, The Chronicle of Philanthropy, September 24, 2018.
- Trump Rule Rigs Immigration for the Super-Rich, Expands Abusive Policy to Put Families at Risk, Advocates Say, Protecting Immigrant Families Campaign, September 23, 2018
- American Immigration Council Condemns Trump Administration’s Proposed “Public Charge” Regulations, American Immigration Council, September 23, 2018.
- Trump Administration Proposal Would Separate Immigrant Families, Harm Public Health and Wellbeing for All of Us, National Immigration Law Center, September 22, 2018.
- Protecting Immigrant Families, Advancing Our Future (PIF) campaign resources
- Recent News Articles, PIF
- Through the Back Door: Remaking the Immigration System via the Expected “Public-Charge” Rule, Migration Policy Institute, August 2018.
- Trump's Public-Charge Rule Would Threaten Disabled Immigrants' Health and Safety, Center for American Progress, August 8, 2018.
- Trump's Immigration Plan Imposes Radical New Income and Health Tests, Center for American Progress, July 19, 2018.
- Chilling Effects: The Expected Public Charge Rule and Its Impact on Legal Immigrant Families' Public Benefits Use, Migration Policy Institute, June 2018.
- Trump "Public Charge" Rule Would Prove Particularly Harsh for Pregnant Women and Children, Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, May 1, 2018.
- The Trump Administration's "Public Charge" Attack on Immigrant Families: Information about an Upcoming Proposed Rule, National Immigration Law Center, April 12, 2018.
- Access to Health Care, Food, and other Public Programs for Immigrant Families Under the Trump Administration, National Immigration Law Center, April 2, 2018.
- Is it safe for immigrants to receive public benefits?, CLINIC, undated.
- What Funders Need to Know About "Public Charge:" An Analysis of the Published Rule and How Funders Can Take Action, GCIR, October 18, 2018.
- Public Charge: The Policy that Could Change Everything for Immigrant Families, Northern California Grantmakers, June 26, 2018.
- A Guide to the New 'Public Charge' Rules: What is Public Charge and How Can Organizations and Funders Respond to Support Family and Child Well-Being, GCIR, April 19, 2018.
- Contact us for a recording.
A special thanks to GCIR members and funders for their support in making this resource page available.
Posted August 21, 2018 • Revised October 19, 2018