Description & Schedule
Leaders across the country are fighting to end the policy and practice of immigration detention. Join us for a conversation with advocates and organizers to learn more about this movement’s strategies. The morning session will focus on the national landscape: today’s detention system, successful efforts against detention from outside of California, and the concerns and risks associated with closing these facilities. The national landscape will provide context for a conversation about the work that is happening here in California. In the afternoon session, our panel of experts will use a series of case studies to discuss strategies and considerations for fighting detention contracts and facilities in California, as well as share lessons learned and reflections from this work. Attendees will learn and discuss how philanthropy can respond to these developments and strategic funding opportunities.
An agenda and supporting documents will be emailed prior to the meeting.
- Part I - 9:30a.m. – 12:30p.m.
- Lunch 12:30p.m. – 1:30p.m.
- Parti II - 1:30p.m. – 3:30p.m.
- Navin Moul, Zellerbach Family Foundation
- Chhandasi Pandya Patel, Heising-Simons Foundation
- Sara Campos, The Grove Foundation
- Arlene Wong, Firedoll Foundation
- Deborah Lee, Interfaith Movement
- Grisel Ruiz, Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- Hamid Yazdan Panah, California Collaborative for Immigrant Justice
- Jackie Gonzalez, San Francisco Bar
- Kate Clark, Jewish Family Services San Diego
- Sandy Valenciano, California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance
- Silky Shah, Detention Watch Network
More speakers to be announced
Bay Area - Office TBD
Registration closes at 12 p.m. PDT, Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
Please note we have a new registration system. You must log into your account to be able to register. If you have not logged in before but have previously attended a GCIR program, you can follow the 'Forgot Password?' link to request a new password, as you most likely already have an account in our system.
After you register for the meeting on the GCIR website, you'll receive an email confirmation and the option to download a calendar item. Meeting materials will be shared prior to the meeting.
Please contact [email protected] if you have questions about registration or meeting logistics.