Policy Response Resources
- Programs: Monthly Immigration Policy Calls
- Supporting Immigrants and Refugees in Volatile Times: What Philanthropy Can Do, GCIR
- The Road Ahead Series: Deportation Defense Options, GCIR
- Creating a Safe Environment for Immigrant and Refugee Students, Families, and Communities, GCIR, The Grove Foundation, and Heising-Simons Foundation
- The Roads Not (Yet) Taken: Supporting Access to Immigration Protection and Citizenship, GCIR
- Joint Foundation Statement on Immigration
- If Not Now, When? A Call to Action on Immigration for California Philanthropy
- Post-Election Statement: Stand Together, Daranee Petsod, GCIR
- The Fight Over Immigrants and Refugees Is Going to Intensify. Here's What Foundations Need to Do, Daranee Petsod, GCIR, published in Inside Philanthropy
Executive Orders | Sanctuary Policies | Enforcement & Detention | Immigration System | DACA | Health | Children
- Executive Order: Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, The White House, March 6, 2017.
- Executive Order: Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, The White House, January 27, 2017.
- Executive Order: Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements, The White House, January 25, 2017.
- Executive Order: Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States, The White House, January 25, 2017.
Related Government Communications
- Memorandum for the Secretary of State, the Attorney General, the Secretary of Homeland Security, The White House, March 6, 2017.
- Letter from Secretary of Homeland Security Kelly and Attorney General Sessions to President Trump, The White House, March 6, 2017.
- Fact Sheet: Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry to the United States, Department of Homeland Security, March 6, 2017.
- Q&A: Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry to the United States, Department of Homeland Security, March 6, 2017.
- AILA Summary of Trump Memorandom Implementing Immediate Heightened Screening, AILA, March 13, 2017.
- Summary of Second Trump Executive Order on Visa Issuance/Screening and Refugees, AILA, March 6, 2017.
- Chasing Down the Rumors: President Trump Issues New Travel Ban Executive Order, AILA, March 6, 2017.
- Revised Trump Executive Order and Guidance on Refugee Resettlement and Travel Ban, Migration Policy Institute, March 2017.
- The Revised Trump Travel Ban: Who Might Be Affected from the Six Targeted Countries?, Migration Policy Institute, March 2017.
- Portal: Data and Analysis Related to Trump Administration Executive Orders on Immigrants and Refugees, Migration Policy Institute.
- Presidential Executive Order: Protecting the Nation From Terrorist Attacks by Foreign Nationals, American Immigration Lawyers Association, January 27, 2017.
- AILA/Council Summary and Analysis of Trump Executive Order on Interior Enforcement, AILA, January 25, 2017.
- AILA/Council Summary and Analysis of Trump Executive Order on Border Security and Enforcement, AILA, January 25, 2017.
- Trump's Executive Order on Immigration, Annotated, NPR, January 31, 2017.
- The Promise of Sanctuary Cities and the Need for Criminal Justice Reforms in an Era of Mass Deportation, ILRC, May 4, 2017.
- Intersection of Sanctuary Cities, National Immigration Policies, and Child Welfare Policies & Practice, National Association of Social Workers, May 2017.
- FAQ on Trump's Executive Order on Sanctuary Cities, ILRC, April 26, 2017.
- The Lawsuits Against Trump's Threat to Defund Sanctuary Cities, ILRC, April 26, 2017.
- Portal: Immigration Enforcement, Mayors Innovation Project.
- Law Professor Letter to President Trump Regarding Constitutionality of Executive Order on Sanctuary Cities, ILRC, March 9, 2017.
- How Much Funding for Sanctuary Jurisdictions Could Be at Risk?, Center for American Progress, March 7, 2017.
- Interview with Professor Bill Hing on Threats to Federal Funding for Sanctuary Cities, ILRC, March 1, 2017.
- Sanctuary City Toolkit, NILC, February 24, 2017.
- "Sanctuary" Policies: An Overview, American Immigration Council, February 23, 2017.
- Fact Sheet on Sanctuary Policies and 8 USC 1373, ILRC, February 13, 2017.
- Expanding Sanctuary: What Makes a City a Sanctuary Now?, Mijente, January 27, 2017.
- The Effects of Sanctuary Policies on Crime and the Economy, Tom K. Wong, Center for American Progress, January 26, 2017.
- Immigration Detainers Under the Priority Enforcement Program, AILA, January 25, 2017.
- Legal Issues Regarding Local Policies Limiting Local Enforcement of Immigration Laws and Potential Federal Responses, Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd., January 13, 2017.
- Searching for Sanctuary: An analysis of America's counties and their voluntary assistance with deportations, Immigrant Legal Resource Center, December 19, 2016.
- "Sanctuary Cities," Trust Acts, and Community Policing Explained, AILA, October 10, 2015.
- A Primer on Expedited Removal, February 3, 2017.
- The Cost of Immigration Enforcement and Border Security, AILA, January 25, 2017.
- Immigration Detainers Under the Priority Enforcement Program, American Immigration Council, January 25, 2017.
- National Map of Local Entanglement with ICE, Immigrant Legal Resource Center, December 19, 2016.
- The Economic Impacts of Removing Unauthorized Immigrant Workers: An Industry- and State-Level Analysis, Center for American Progress, September 21, 2016.
- Immigration Detainers: A Comprehensive Look, American Immigration Council, February 17, 2010
- Map: Removing Unauthorized Workers Harms States and Industries Across the Country, Center for American Progress, September 21, 2016.
- The High Cost and Diminishing Returns of a Border Wall, AILA, January 25, 2017.
- 850 miles of US-Mexico 'wall' not needed, ex-border officials say, The Center for Investigative Reporting, January 23, 2017.
- The wall: Building a continuous US-Mexico barrier would be a tall order, The Center for Investigative Reporting, January 22, 2017.
- Less than half the public views border wall as an important goal for U.S. Immigration policy, January 6, 2017.
- Refugee Outreach and Engagement Programs for Police Agencies, Police Executive Research Forum, May 2017.
- The Economic and Fiscal Consequences of Immigration, National Academy of Sciences.
- Reports: The Contributions of New Americans, New American Economy.
- Map the Impact of Immigration Across the Nation, Partnership for a New American Economy.
- How the United States Immigration System Works, American Immigration Council, August 12, 2016.
- Opportunity Lost: The Economic Benefit of Retaining Foreign-Born Students in Local Economies, The Chicago Council on Global Affairs, April 14, 2016.
- DACA: Current Status and Options, February 24, 2017.
- The Economic and Fiscal Impact of Repealing DACA, Cato Institute, January 18, 2017.
- Ending DACA Will Cost States Billions of Dollars, Center for American Progress, January 9, 2017.
- Effective Practices to Support DREAMers Right Now!, TheDream.US, November 21, 2016.
- DACA [portal], NILC.
- Dreamer Intake Service, Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC).
- The High Cost of Ending Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Center for American Progress, November 18, 2016.
- Post-Election Talking Points and Resources - DACA/DAPA, Immigrant Legal Resouce Center , November 10, 2016.
- 5 Important Things You Need to Know About DACA During a Trump Presidency, United We Dream.
- California Dream Act, Educators for Fair Consideration.
- What happens to health & health equity if the Affordable Care Act is dismantled?, Public Health Awakened (PHA), March 16, 2017.
- Debunking partisan myths about the Affordable Care Act, PHA, March 2017.
- Public Health Actions for Immigrant Rights: A Short Guide to Protecting Undocumented Residents and Their Families for the Benefit of Public Health and All Society, PHA.
- Portal: Public Health Awakened: Resources: Immigrant Rights
- The Effect of Hostile Immigration Policies on Children's Mental Health, The Children's Partnership and California Immigrant Policy Center, March 2017.
- Recovering the Human Faces of Immigration in the U.S. South, University of Florida's Center for Latin American Studies' Program for Immigration, Religion, and Social Change and Loyola University's Jesuit Social Research Institute, March 13, 2017.
- Defense Attorneys, Protect Immigrant Clients from ICE in the Courts!, Immigrant Defense Project and Padilla Support Center, April 2017.
- Unauthorized Immigrants with Criminal Convictions: Who Might Be a Priority for Removal?, Migration Policy Institute.
- What to Do Next To Protect Immigrant Communities, National Immigrant Justice Center, November 9, 2016. (Spanish)
- Creating a Safe Environment for Immigrant and Refugee Students, Families, and Communities: Actions for PreK-12 Schools and Higher Education, GCIR.
- Tips for Talking with Clients and Staff about their Election Result Concerns, Church World Service, November 11, 2016.
- Model Campus Safety Zones Resolution language, Joint project of ACLU, Advancement Project, AAAJ-CA, AAAJ-LA, NILC, and SIREN. [MS Word version]
- Help for Immigrant Families Post-Election: Guidance for Schools, ILRC.
- Post-Election: What Educators Can Do to Support Undocumented Students, Educators for Fair Consideration.
- Twenty-Plus Things Schools Can Do to Respond to or Prevent Hate Incidents Against Arab-Americans, Muslims, and Sikhs, Community Relations Service, U.S. Department of Justice.
- Recognition & Accreditation Program, Executive Office for Immigration Review, U.S. Department of Justice.
- National Map of Local Entanglement with ICE, ILRC.
- Local Options for Protecting Immigrants, ILRC.
- Searching for Sanctuary: An Analysis of America's Counties & Their Voluntary Assistance with Deportations, ILRC.
- County/city policies, California TRUST Act.
- Informed Immigrant [information portal], Informed Immigrant.
- Community Advisory: Social Media, Criminalization, and Immigration, National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild and Research Action Design.
- Protecting Assets and Child Custody in the Face of Deportation, Appleseed.
- New Questions and Answers about DACA Now That Trump is President Elect, National Immigration Law Center.
- Practice Advisory: DACA and California Driver's Licenses, Immigrant Legal Resource Center.
- 5 Important Things You Need to Know About DACA During a Trump Presidency, United We Dream.
- What All Immigrants Should Know Post-Election 2016, Informed Immigrant.
- What Our Community Can Do Now, Educators for Fair Consideration.
- Top 5 Things for Immigrants and Refugees to Know about the Election Results, Church World Service.
- Rights During Immigration Raids, NILC.
- How to Be Prepared for an Immigration Raid, NILC. (Spanish)
- Sensitive Locations FAQ, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- #ReportHate: Report a Hate Incident, Southern Poverty Law Center.
- Veterans Crisis Line
- SAMHSA's National Helpline, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights for Students, Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
- Immigrant Rights Teach-In and Know Your Rights Presentations, NYU Law.
- Know Your Rights: Everyone Has Certain Basic Rights, No Matter Who is President, National Immigration Law Center (NILC).
- Know Your Rights [portal], American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
- Know Your Rights! Protect Yourself Against Immigration Raids, United We Dream.
- U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights
- U.S. Department of Justice's Community Relations Service
- Stranger in My Own Country, Democracy Fund Voice, January 25, 2017.
See the GCIR Resources section for statements faciltated by GCIR.
- Apple: [Internal Memo]
- Box: Standing Up for America's Principles
- Facebook: The United States is a Nation of Immigrants
- Kaiser Permanente: Kaiser Permanente: A Safe Place to Give and Receive Care
- Lyft: Defending Our Values
- Microsoft: Yesterday's Executive Order on Immigration
- Netflix: Trump's Actions are hurting Netflix employees around the world
- Nike: This is a Policy We Do Not Support
- Postmates: Taking a stance to defend our values
- Reddit: An Open Letter to the Reddit Community
- Starbucks: Living Our Values in Uncertain Times
- Annie E. Casey Foundation: Our Statement on Executive Actions on Immigration
- Emerson Collective: Three Weeks. Three Orders.
- Latino Community Foundation: A Threat to Our Values...and Our Economy
- Marin Community Foundation: California Rising
- Rosenberg Foundation: No Ban, No Wall: Standing with Immigrant Communities
- The Denver Foundation: Statement of Solidarity with Immigrants and Refugees
- The Heinz Endowments: We Must Remain an Inclusive and Welcoming City for All
- The James Irvine Foundation: Standing Up for Immigrants
- The San Francisco Foundation: We Stand United
- Vilcek Foundation: A Message from Jan and Marica Vilcek
Faith Leaders & NGOs
- American Academy of Pediatrics: AAP Statement on Protecting Immigrant Children
- HIAS: Just Filed: HIAS v. Trump
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition: More than 3,500 Religious Leaders Sign Letter Supporting Refugee Resettlement
- Kids In Need of Defense: Executive Order on Immigration: Not Who We Are as a Nation
- Association of American Universities: AAU Urges Quick End to Administration Order Barring Returning Students and Faculty
- Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities: Public Universities Respond to New Immigration Executive Order
- Members: 24 university systems and 207 universities
- NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education: Statement on Executive Orders and Senate Confirmations
- University of California: UC Statement on President Trump's Executive Order
- Blue Shield of California Foundation: Together We Stand
- Emerson Collective: Fighting for Families: Outlook on Immigration
- Evelyn & Walter Haas, Jr. Fund: California Moves Forward on Immigration, Op-ed, The Sacramento Bee
- Ford Foundation: On Building the Beloved Community
- Funders' Network for Smart Growth and Liveable Communities: Moving Forward
- The Fund for Santa Barbara: Standing United is Our Only Course of Action
- General Service Foundation: General Service Foundation Stands With You
- Heising-Simons Foundation: A Message from our Chair and our CEO
- Independent Sector: Independent Sector Statement on 2016 Election.
- Kresge Foundation: What Does Philanthropy Do Next? The Political Landscape Has Changed, Our Values Shouldn't
- NoVo Foundation: For Philanthropy, Time to Double Down to End Injustice
- Open Society Foundations: Hope on the Road Ahead
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation: SVCF's Support for Programs Serving Immigrants Is More Important Than Ever
- The California Endowment: Statement from TCE's Board of Directors
- The California Wellness Foundation: Aftermath: Post-Election Reflections
- The Fund for Santa Barbara: Standing United is Our Only Course of Action
- The James Irvine Foundation: Standing Together for Inclusion, Equity, and Opportunity
- The San Francisco Foundation: What History Tells Us
- William Caspar Graustein Memorial Fund: Election 2016
- American Immigration Lawyers Association: AILA: The Time is Now to Move Away from the Negative Rhetoric and Commit to Real Immigration Reform.
- Church World Service: With Election Results In, Church World Service Will Continue to Stand in Solidarity with Refugees and Immigrants and Address Urgent Global Issues.
- E4FC: Letter from Katherine Gin, co-founder and executive director.
- HIAS: HIAS Calls on President-Elect Trump to Respect Longstanding Refugee Policy.
- Human Rights First: Statement on the 2016 Presidential Election, .
- ILRC: A Message to Our Community, Supporters and Partners.
- International Rescue Committee: Now Is the Time to Embrace Our Common Humanity.
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service: Lutheran Immigraiton and Refugee Service Calls on Trump Administration to Continue Support for Refugees and Migrants.
- NAKASEC: We Stand With Our Refugee and Muslim Sisters and Brothers
- National Council of La Raza: Your Voice is More Important Now than Ever Before.
- NILC: Trump's Victory Will Not Defeat Immigrants or Constitutional Rights, .
- TheDream.US: Statement on Election Results.
- U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants: USCRI Welcomes President-elect Trump, .
- Southeast Asian Resource Action Center: SEARAC Election Response: We Love, We Heal, We Organize.
- Consumer Health Foundation: A Day Without Immigrants
Other Resource Pages
- Defending Vulnerable Populations Project, Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc.
- Featured Issue: Immigration 2017 - A New President and Congress, AILA
- Resources for Families Facing Deportation and Separation, Women's Refugee Commission.
- Anti-Immigrant, Southern Poverty Law Center.
A special thanks to GCIR members and funders for their support in making this resource page available.
Posted November 11, 2016 • Revised February 14, 2018