GCIR envisions a society in which everyone thrives no matter where they were born. To make that vision a reality, we galvanize philanthropy to advance immigrant justice and belonging. As the nation’s only immigrant-focused philanthropy-supporting organization (PSO), we work with our more than 135 member institutions, the 1,200 individual grantmakers in our network, our partners in the field, and other PSOs to mobilize funder resources on the most pressing issues facing immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers. To learn more, visit www.gcir.org
The internship is designed to provide DACAmented individuals exposure to the workplace, provide experience in a philanthropic nonprofit organization, deepen knowledge of issues related to immigration, and help build skills for future employment. By welcoming a DACAmented intern, GCIR aims to broaden the lived experiences of our team and diversify the perspectives informing our work. Offering this internship aligns with GCIR’s vision of a society in which everyone thrives no matter where they were born.
The summer intern will work remotely, 20-24 hours/week, for 8 weeks. The Program Associate will provide daily supervision, and the intern will work with other staff as assigned. The hourly rate for this internship will be $20/hour.
Responsibilities and Learning Opportunities
- Provide support with program preparation and registration
- Co-develop a webinar on a timely immigration issue
- Provide research and social media support
- Update and organize electronic files and databases
- Conduct informational interviews with field leaders
- Draft a blog post reflecting on takeaways from the internship
- Carry out other projects and responsibilities depending on skills and interests
Requirements and Qualifications
- Recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) with valid work authorization
- A commitment to GCIR’s mission of advancing immigrant justice and belonging
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Ability to effectively work remotely while managing multiple priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Please submit a cover letter that states that you are a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and resume and email to [email protected] with "DACA Internship” in the subject line. The deadline to apply for this position is May 28, 2021. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this role. No phone calls or email inquiries please.